Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Benchmade griptilian legal to carry in ct?

The law of the sea.

Postby gilleabart » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48 am

First off i live in connecticut I recently bought a benchmade griptilian 551 straight edge axis assist knife. The sharpened blade length is 3.5 inches. Was reading online about ct state knife laws and I'm lost. My interpretation of the law on carrying folding knives is; blade has to be 4" or shorter and cannot be automatic opening or a "gravity assisted opening knife". The griptian has axis assist but not automatic but can be easily opened with a simple flick of the wrist. So I just want to know if i will have a problem carrying this knife around in public. Main purpose for the knife is to carry with me when hiking/backpacking for worst case scenario. Any info to clarify the laws would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
gilleabart

Postby teyo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 am

First off i live in connecticut I recently bought a benchmade griptilian 551 straight edge axis assist knife. The sharpened blade length is 3.5 inches. Was reading online about ct state knife laws and I'm lost. My interpretation of the law on carrying folding knives is; blade has to be 4" or shorter and cannot be automatic opening or a "gravity assisted opening knife". The griptian has axis assist but not automatic but can be easily opened with a simple flick of the wrist. So I just want to know if i will have a problem carrying this knife around in public. Main purpose for the knife is to carry with me when hiking/backpacking for worst case scenario. Any info to clarify the laws would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
This is a common question with Axis-Lock knives like the Griptillian.

For purposes of state laws in all states except New York, the axis-lock does not count as a gravity knife or butterfly knife for purposes of law. It is treated the same as any other folding pocket knife.

New York is the sole exception, where courts have rules against any knife that can be flipped open with centrifugal force, even if this means grasping the blade and swinging the knife body open.

CT you should be fine.
teyo

Return to Maritime Law