Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Being close with an ex boyfriends family.?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby darce » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 am

I have become very close with my ex boyfriends family. Especially his brothers and sister in law. I work with his Aunt and we are all hanging out, getting our kids together, taking trips, etc. My ex boyfriend has moved on and we remain somewhat friends. But now I have a new boyfriend in my life and he feels completely awkward about meeting them. Its pretty much come down to a decision from me to pick between them and my new boyfriend. I have no idea what to do or how to go about doing it. Please any suggestions!!??
darce

Postby slaine » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:28 am

I agree with your boyfriend, it does make for an awkward situation. And this will most likely be an awkward situation for any boyfriend. An it will be an awkward situation for your ex's new girlfriend too.

Think about how you would feel if you ex or ex's started showing up with gf's at your family dinners, vacations, etc.

I don't doubt this particular family is super nice, etc., but at some point it may be best to not be so totally involved with them.

I think you should enjoy your current boyfriend and his family/friends. And also, spend time with yours.
slaine

Postby galvin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:33 am

One only has to read into your post to realize what you don't . He was just a " Boyfriend " not a " Husband " . His Brothers , Sister in law , and Aunt are also " friends " . Your new " Boyfriend " is just another new " Friend". They are all just friends . There is no need for you to dramatize all this by imagining that you now must consider which friend to keep and which to dump . Keep as many friends as you can because you never know when you might need them.
galvin

Return to Family Law