Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Becoming A Police Officer With Oth Discharge

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Postby Herve » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 am

Jack,  I was in the Marine Corps Reserves, missed too many drills, and was kicked out with a other than honorable discharge for unsatisfactory participation. A stupid mistake I made a few years ago.  Over the past 6 years I have been doing Asset Protection for a large grocery chain and realized I would like to become a police officer. I don't think I would want to make a full career out of it because Asset Protection is working out good for me, I'm moving up and making more money than I would being a police officer. I really just want a part time police officer job, for now anyways.  I have a 2 year business degree. I was considering getting the PA Act 120 certification.  Do you think I would have a shot landing a police officer job with that OTH discharge?  
Herve

Postby Sumertun » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:50 pm

John,

I didn't want to just ignore your question so I am going to answer it this way.  

I have never heard of a "part-time police officer" and I don't work or live in Pennsylvania so I am assuming that PA Act120 applies to that state.  To get that question answered you are going to find someone in law  enforcement in Pennsylvania.  Why not just talk to the officers who do background investigations for the department in your city?

I can tell you this.  If you applied for a position on MY department(which is not in PA) your discharge would certainly not help you.  But its possible that it might not hurt you.
Sumertun

Postby hototo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:28 am

Jack,  I was in the Marine Corps Reserves, missed too many drills, and was kicked out with a other than honorable discharge for unsatisfactory participation. A stupid mistake I made a few years ago.  Over the past 6 years I have been doing Asset Protection for a large grocery chain and realized I would like to become a police officer. I don't think I would want to make a full career out of it because Asset Protection is working out good for me, I'm moving up and making more money than I would being a police officer. I really just want a part time police officer job, for now anyways.  I have a 2 year business degree. I was considering getting the PA Act 120 certification.  Do you think I would have a shot landing a police officer job with that OTH discharge?  
hototo

Return to Criminal Law