Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Beach Game

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Beach Game

Postby Kolby » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:51 pm

On my family vacation a friend who was with us showed us a game they had seen someone playing on the beach when they were on a different vacation... we started playing it and it kind of morphed while we were playing...several people asked if we had purchased the game... I think it could have legs and be a marketable beach game...How do I go about pursuing making it a reality?
Kolby

Beach Game

Postby Arturo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:39 am

On my family vacation a friend who was with us showed us a game they had seen someone playing on the beach when they were on a different vacation... we started playing it and it kind of morphed while we were playing...several people asked if we had purchased the game... I think it could have legs and be a marketable beach game...How do I go about pursuing making it a reality?
Arturo

Beach Game

Postby Swain » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 am

Hi Ron;

First thing that you should do it a patent search.  It's free, however it will take a few hours of your time or more.  http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

You will want to search both published patents and issued patents.  What I would suggest is clicking on the "Quick Search" first and put in keywords that describe your beach game.  If you find patents, read through them to find out if your game is already patented by someone else.  Then do the same for the advanced search. If you find NO RESULTS...this is good because it means that you are probably working with an idea that no one else has patented yet.

The second thing that I suggest is that you do is research....and a lot of it!  :)    

MARKETING RESEARCH:

- How many other products are out there that are similar to yours?

- What industry would this fit into?

- Who are your customers?  What age are they?

- How much $ is spend on 'beach games' per year?

MANUFACTURING RESEARCH

- What would be the process of manufacturing it?

- A good resource to look at is http://www.thomasnet.com/

- Also you may want to contact a friend of mine named Alan.  He runs a consulting firm for overseas manufacturing called Arkk Associates.  Tell him Marty sent you.  You can reach him at http://www.arkk.com/  He does charge a fee, but not on the first call.  You have about 45-60 minutes of free consultation.

It's exciting that you have an idea that has some legs under it Ron.  When other people just walk by and ask how they can get one...lol, that's great!!  When you have these questions answered, get back with me.  I have a business relationship with a VERY large toy company.  One of the largest in the world actually.  I look forward to talking with you again soon Ron!  Take care and happy inventing!

Regards;

Marty McCrea
Swain

Return to Patents & Trademarks