Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Bad Umbilical Hernia Repair

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Postby Chan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:17 am

On 8/3/10 I had given you a summary regarding my "Bad Umbilical Hernia Repair. I had stated how I woke up the next morning after surgery with a major infection. After 8 weeks of the surgeon telling me "wait and see" and after my infection became methicillin resistant and bacteria eating a hole through my muscles/ tissues. I am now going on my third surgery for ventral hernias. The infection according to my knew Docs has caused such damage , it has created new hernias. I am going for laporcopic ventral hernia repair on 12/2.(I think you predicted this by your response on my last question). In any event, any legal recourse here?
Chan

Postby cadby » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:44 am

It doesn't sound like surgical negligence is the problem or at least a problem that is sufficiently provable and actionable. So the question is, is the hospital liable for the MRSA. This is an evolving area of malpractice law. Things go wrong all the time of course, especially in hospitals. Legally a malpractice case must have evidence that something was done or not done such as to be BELOW THE STANDARD OF CARE. Historically, MRSA infections arising in hospitals and whatever caused it to get on a patient has not been considered below the standard of care. My reading indicates that in at least 1/3 of the cases, the MRSA already existed on the patient's skin and is released into the system with open wounds or surgery. There are protocols to deal with MRSA now. All surgical patients can be screened for MRSA going in and the other source of MRSA, inadequate sterilization of hands, gloves, surfaces etc. throughout the hospital can be dealt with if they really wanted to devote themselves to it. I forget the name of the case but it came out of Kentucky a couple years ago, about hospital MRSA infection. The case was successful. Google for MRSA lawsuit. Get more info there. Good luck
cadby

Postby Ordwine » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:46 pm

On 8/3/10 I had given you a summary regarding my "Bad Umbilical Hernia Repair. I had stated how I woke up the next morning after surgery with a major infection. After 8 weeks of the surgeon telling me "wait and see" and after my infection became methicillin resistant and bacteria eating a hole through my muscles/ tissues. I am now going on my third surgery for ventral hernias. The infection according to my knew Docs has caused such damage , it has created new hernias. I am going for laporcopic ventral hernia repair on 12/2.(I think you predicted this by your response on my last question). In any event, any legal recourse here?
Ordwine

Return to Legal Malpractice