Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Bad Prostate Radiation Burn

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby Ugutz » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:57 pm

I am an active 69 year old male who was in great shape last year and am trying to recover.  I am also a prostate cancer survivor, I think, since my second post operative PSA came back as undetectable. I had a salvage robotic prostatectomy after five weeks of radiation.  

My cancer was detected in November of last year and since I've had a history of prostatitis, my first inclination was to simply have the prostate surgically removed and get rid of both the prostatitis and the cancer together. I was given a bone scan which was negative.  In mid December I was given a 30 day luprolide(that actually lasted 90 days).  At that time I asked for and in early January had a laproscopic collection of pelvic lymph nodes.  I also asked for, and had to re-ask, that they be examined using an immuno chemical dye test. Everything was negative.  

Research on-line also led me to consider radiation and seeds since some sites indicated that surgery would not necessarily eliminate the prostatitis.  Specifically, I looked into Cesium seeds.  I talked with a qualified oncologist at a university hospital and was told I could have "a couple of weeks" of radiation and stay at their patient residential facility and then they would implant the seeds.  He also inquired about my willingness to participate in a chemo trial to which I had no interest. When I returned for a follow up, I was told that I needed to have five weeks of radiation done locally(I think because they had bought into the local health care system).  

I was sent by my urologist to a local radiation oncologist and I let him talk me into letting him do the radiation using IMBR, to be followed right away with palladium seeds. I've since realized that his aiming technology is not very good. I didn't follow my gut when I should have. At our second session I asked him what he would recommend that I do and he said a radical prostatectomy.  I let it pass and at our last session asked why he had recommended the radical prostatectomy.  He denied having said such a thing.  This issue bacame more important because after 5 weeks of radiation, which began in late February, and after planemetry, he told me he couldn't do the seeds, because I had an E-coli infection.  None of my other doctors knew of such a thing and the oncologist had not ordered any tests.  He then pressed me very hard to continue with the radiation... I only had a couple of days to make up my mind.

I decided instead to have the prostate removed which was done in early June. A few weeks before the surgery, I began to experience bowel problems and immediately following the planemetry session I experience urination burning much worse than any prostatitis, and even commented to my urologist that it felt like the had covered the catheter with sand paper before inserting it.

My prostatectomy, which was done by robotic means and by an experienced urological surgeon, took  over five hours and the proste came out at about 100cc's.  I had a hospital stay of 5 days and was extreme discomfort.  My rectum hurt more than you can immagine and my penis felt like it was all bruised. I'm not talking about the urethra, but rather the flesh and the head of the penis. There is also a continuous burning feeling in the penis.  While these symptoms have lessened they are still with me. I last used Percoset a week and a half ago.

A series of tests by both the surgeon and my GI indicate no reason for the discomforts other than radiation burn.

I understand from some sites that radiation burn will sometimes just reach a plateau and never get better.  True?Please tell me what options I may have.  Thanks,  Burned
Ugutz

Postby Bitten » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:35 pm

My first impression of your recital is that you have suggested and received far too many interventions by doctors. Doctors are first business men and if you are eager to have something done, they will do it whether or not it is necessary.

Your prostate cancer should have resulted in a simple removal of the prostate followed(or at the same time) by removal of involved lymph nodes. What you say points to a reverse of the procedures.

Your basic question is about radiation burns. These do occur but often do not result in successful malpractice lawsuits unless the lawyer is able to show faulty equipment or handling of equipment, or faulty arithmetic calculations. You say the radiologist did not have 'good technique', and if you noticed that, you may be able to prove your case. But that will take some investigation by your lawyer because what you surmise is not going to be evidence. The E coli infection should have been treated and maybe the radiologist felt that was not in his specialty and so he did nothing. But if you did have an infection that should have been taken care of, and it doesn't matter who orders the antibiotics.

Your options are open. You can continue to go to doctors and bargain with them as you have in the past. Or you could see a lawyer and try to be compensated for radiation burns. Or you could see what could be done to ease the rectal and penile discomforts, but that will only lead you to more medical decisions that maybe you do not want to make.

I see a lot of problems in your future medical/legal adventures. You are right to question what doctors suggest, and you are right to do some independent research, but to continue to question doctors' decisions and to ask doctors to do what you think is proper will only lead to more distress. If you do not agree with what a doctor says, the thing to do is to separate yourself from that doctor. You do not have to do everything a doctor tells you to do. Doctors are no more intelligent than other professionals.

You need to sit down with yourself and review what has happened and ask yourself where you have made some poor decisions. Surgery for prostatic cancer is not all that complicated and most of the time will result in 'cure'. Maybe you should have had that done in the beginning. Now, after all the medical/surgical experiments your pelvic area must be a mess. A lawyer will have a terrible time deciding what caused what and who is at fault. So, you probably should not do much more than ask a couple of malpractice lawyers what they think. Then, maybe go back to your urologist and get some palliative care. Radiation burns do heal over after time, maybe leaving a afew adhesions or scars. Try not to use too many pain killers.

I guess my answer to you is: I don't see what you can do other than just try to find someone to help you recover from these assaults.
Bitten

Postby Josiah » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:43 pm

I am an active 69 year old male who was in great shape last year and am trying to recover.  I am also a prostate cancer survivor, I think, since my second post operative PSA came back as undetectable. I had a salvage robotic prostatectomy after five weeks of radiation.  

My cancer was detected in November of last year and since I've had a history of prostatitis, my first inclination was to simply have the prostate surgically removed and get rid of both the prostatitis and the cancer together. I was given a bone scan which was negative.  In mid December I was given a 30 day luprolide(that actually lasted 90 days).  At that time I asked for and in early January had a laproscopic collection of pelvic lymph nodes.  I also asked for, and had to re-ask, that they be examined using an immuno chemical dye test. Everything was negative.  

Research on-line also led me to consider radiation and seeds since some sites indicated that surgery would not necessarily eliminate the prostatitis.  Specifically, I looked into Cesium seeds.  I talked with a qualified oncologist at a university hospital and was told I could have "a couple of weeks" of radiation and stay at their patient residential facility and then they would implant the seeds.  He also inquired about my willingness to participate in a chemo trial to which I had no interest. When I returned for a follow up, I was told that I needed to have five weeks of radiation done locally(I think because they had bought into the local health care system).  

I was sent by my urologist to a local radiation oncologist and I let him talk me into letting him do the radiation using IMBR, to be followed right away with palladium seeds. I've since realized that his aiming technology is not very good. I didn't follow my gut when I should have. At our second session I asked him what he would recommend that I do and he said a radical prostatectomy.  I let it pass and at our last session asked why he had recommended the radical prostatectomy.  He denied having said such a thing.  This issue bacame more important because after 5 weeks of radiation, which began in late February, and after planemetry, he told me he couldn't do the seeds, because I had an E-coli infection.  None of my other doctors knew of such a thing and the oncologist had not ordered any tests.  He then pressed me very hard to continue with the radiation... I only had a couple of days to make up my mind.

I decided instead to have the prostate removed which was done in early June. A few weeks before the surgery, I began to experience bowel problems and immediately following the planemetry session I experience urination burning much worse than any prostatitis, and even commented to my urologist that it felt like the had covered the catheter with sand paper before inserting it.

My prostatectomy, which was done by robotic means and by an experienced urological surgeon, took  over five hours and the proste came out at about 100cc's.  I had a hospital stay of 5 days and was extreme discomfort.  My rectum hurt more than you can immagine and my penis felt like it was all bruised. I'm not talking about the urethra, but rather the flesh and the head of the penis. There is also a continuous burning feeling in the penis.  While these symptoms have lessened they are still with me. I last used Percoset a week and a half ago.

A series of tests by both the surgeon and my GI indicate no reason for the discomforts other than radiation burn.

I understand from some sites that radiation burn will sometimes just reach a plateau and never get better.  True?Please tell me what options I may have.  Thanks,  Burned
Josiah

Return to Medical Malpractice