Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Az 8 And 80 Regulations

Discuss Labor Laws

Az 8 And 80 Regulations

Postby fiacre68 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 am

Does the 8 and 80 regulation apply for a Hospital in the State of Arizona?  An employer is stating they only have to pay overtime after 80 hours with the 8 and 80 rules no overtime if you work over 8 hours in a 24 hour period.  I thought it is overtime if you work over 8 hours in a 24 hour period AND overtime if you work over 80 hours in a 14 day period. The employee would not get paid overtime twice. Example: Employee works a total of 81 hours in 14 day pay week. One day they worked 10 hours so they would receive 2 hours overtime for the 10 hour day and since the 10 hour day created the over 80 hours the employee would not receive an additional 1 hour overtime.  Current Hospital says the State of Arizona only requires them to pay 1 hour overtime for the pay period.
fiacre68

Az 8 And 80 Regulations

Postby Kemp » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:25 am

Dear C :

Sorry for the late response.  I was out of the office and failed to set my AllExperts status to "on vacation".  

You are right about how 8/80 works.  Overtime would apply after working 8 hours in a 24 hour day and upon working 80+ hours within a 14 day rolling period.   So, if you worked 10 hours on day #1 of the 14 days, and from day 2 through 14 ended up working another seven days at 8 hours each, you would be paid 64 regular hours and 2 hours overtime for the 14 day period.

As far as I understand,  yes, it would apply as it is a Federal Law.  I was not able to readily find any Arizona law that precludes itself from the 8/80 Rule,  so, at a minimum, I would assume it applies as it is written into Federal law.    Here is a link to the Federal Department of Labor.  It is the specific section that explains how the 8/80 Rule works with examples.http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29/Part_778/29CFR778.601.htm

or Google search for :  29 CFR 778.601

Please thoroughly read this Federal regulation over and then if you have any other questions, just follow up any time.

PS-  I will try in a day or two to look up the AZ wage and hour regs on this in more detail.  IF I find my post here was incorrect or needs an update(most likely not),  I'll send you another note.  If you don't hear from me by this Friday April 30th, consider it a done deal...

Sincere regards,

Brian Phillips

HR Business Consultanthttp://www.harvis.org
Kemp

Az 8 And 80 Regulations

Postby zayne » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:03 am

Does the 8 and 80 regulation apply for a Hospital in the State of Arizona?  An employer is stating they only have to pay overtime after 80 hours with the 8 and 80 rules no overtime if you work over 8 hours in a 24 hour period.  I thought it is overtime if you work over 8 hours in a 24 hour period AND overtime if you work over 80 hours in a 14 day period. The employee would not get paid overtime twice. Example: Employee works a total of 81 hours in 14 day pay week. One day they worked 10 hours so they would receive 2 hours overtime for the 10 hour day and since the 10 hour day created the over 80 hours the employee would not receive an additional 1 hour overtime.  Current Hospital says the State of Arizona only requires them to pay 1 hour overtime for the pay period.
zayne

Return to Labor Laws