Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Automobile Accident Settlement Disbursement

Discuss the legalities of Bankruptcy Law

Postby Deortun » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:25 am

Hello Dr. Settlement, I've reached a settlement since October 2007 and still have yet to receive dispersement. The defendant's auto insurance company sent me a letter stating a settlement check(showing its amount) had been sent to my attorney's office six months following the accident for the same amount as the settlement discussed with my attorney. FYI- It has been 21 months since the accident. I've already signed a settlement agreement since October 2007 and every time I call the attorney it appears they are giving me the run around. SO, my question is essentially how long does an attorney have before dispersing a settlement when they have already received the funds from the opposing party? It seems fishy. Should I get another attorney, for my attorney??
Deortun

Postby Anrai » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:07 am

Hi Rah, Yes, you are correct; this is waaaaay too long for a disbursement.  I would do two things ASAP.

#1. Write a letter via certified mail.  Tell the attorney to do these five things and to ensure she writes to you within two days of receipt of this letter, or you will file a complaint with your state bar association:(A) state the date the check was received in her office;(B) explain the reason for this delay;(C) tell you why you are not entitled to interest at the state judgment rate(? In some states it is 12%) from the date the check was received by her office;(D) tell when the money will be disbursed;(E) send you an advance copy of her proposed disbursement sheet so you can review it before going into her office Tell the attorney that you WILL NOT speak with anyone on the phone.  All communication on this topic must be in writing. #2. Without naming your attorney just yet, get in touch with your state bar association http://www.settlementcentral.com/links.php  and ask them what to do.  Get the process for a complaint ready to file in case that letter is not forthcoming from the attorney with a satisfactory answer within five business days after they received it.

I trust that my time here has produced some information that has been of value to you, and thus I would respectfully request that you take the time to locate the FEEDBACK FORM on this site and leave some feedback for me.

Best Wishes, Dr. Settlement, J.D.(Juris Doctor) http://www.SettlementCentral.Com
Anrai

Postby Taithleach » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello Dr. Settlement, I've reached a settlement since October 2007 and still have yet to receive dispersement. The defendant's auto insurance company sent me a letter stating a settlement check(showing its amount) had been sent to my attorney's office six months following the accident for the same amount as the settlement discussed with my attorney. FYI- It has been 21 months since the accident. I've already signed a settlement agreement since October 2007 and every time I call the attorney it appears they are giving me the run around. SO, my question is essentially how long does an attorney have before dispersing a settlement when they have already received the funds from the opposing party? It seems fishy. Should I get another attorney, for my attorney??
Taithleach

Return to Bankruptcy Law