Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Auto Loan Default

Discuss the legalities of Bankruptcy Law

Auto Loan Default

Postby Gavi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:44 am

I was contacted today by a rather rude man about the status of auto loan.  He works at a collections agency.  Anyhow he claimed that they can come into my house and see what would be considered assests to be used to help settle the debt that I have with them.  And that they can take my car.  I was told that since that is my only means of transportation for my children that they couldn't do that.  I guess what I want to know is what can they do to me?  I offered an amount to pay on a monthly basis but they weren't interested in hearing it.  Thanks Becky

ANSWER: No, they can't just come into your house and see what they think they can take to settle the debt. Only a sheriff can do that and in order for that to happen there has to be a judgment and a garnishment order from the court. I doubt that they can take your only means of transportation either but that can depend on state law.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Do you know where I could start to look to see what the laws are in my state?
Gavi

Auto Loan Default

Postby Iustig » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:57 am

I was contacted today by a rather rude man about the status of auto loan.  He works at a collections agency.  Anyhow he claimed that they can come into my house and see what would be considered assests to be used to help settle the debt that I have with them.  And that they can take my car.  I was told that since that is my only means of transportation for my children that they couldn't do that.  I guess what I want to know is what can they do to me?  I offered an amount to pay on a monthly basis but they weren't interested in hearing it.  Thanks Becky

ANSWER: No, they can't just come into your house and see what they think they can take to settle the debt. Only a sheriff can do that and in order for that to happen there has to be a judgment and a garnishment order from the court. I doubt that they can take your only means of transportation either but that can depend on state law.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Do you know where I could start to look to see what the laws are in my state?
Iustig

Auto Loan Default

Postby Fynbar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:39 am

yes, go to google and type in "Oregon state statutes" or "Florida state statutes" or "whateverstateyoulivein state statutes" and it should come up. Then you will have to look for the specific section you want to know about such as "foreclosure" or "reposessions" or whatever.
Fynbar

Return to Bankruptcy Law