Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Assignment Of Lease

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Assignment Of Lease

Postby Rayhourne » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:04 pm

I read this on eHow.com:

Depending on the laws of your state, you may have the right to cancel the remainder of your lease if your landlord does not respond to your written request to assign your lease or if your landlord offers an "unreasonable" response to the request. Does this apply in California?
Rayhourne

Assignment Of Lease

Postby Cailin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi Gina -- I'm sorry I'm not going to be much help to you in this area as I am totally unfamiliar with tenant/landlord laws of California.  Do you have a copy of your lease?  The right to transfer or assign the lease might be written into the  lease.  Here in Oklahoma, our leases specifically prohibit the transfer or assignment of lessees.  Are you just wanting to cancel your lease, or are you wanting to assign?  Make sure if you assign or "sublet" your place you trust the person you assign it to, as you will be ultimately and equally responsible for the rent, unless your lease is terminated.  So if they default on the lease, and the landlord sues, your name will be on the court filing.  (That's according to ok law, ca might be different, but check before you do any assignment.)  You can check with your local bar association for what the landlord tenants rights are in your area.  Of you might be able to get that information from a real estate company.  Good luck -- Stefani
Cailin

Assignment Of Lease

Postby Ludlow » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:32 pm

I read this on eHow.com:

Depending on the laws of your state, you may have the right to cancel the remainder of your lease if your landlord does not respond to your written request to assign your lease or if your landlord offers an "unreasonable" response to the request. Does this apply in California?
Ludlow

Return to Rental Law