Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Arizona Lunch Breaks (still Deducted From My Paycheck Whether Taken Or Not)

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Euston » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 am

I work in the state of Arizona with a company that allows a 30 minute unpaid lunch break and two 15 minute paid breaks.  But even if we are too busy and cannot take our break, they still deduct a 30 minute break from my check even though I was using that time to work for them!  I was wondering if there is some law against that or if there is some way you could help me find some kind of answer.
Euston

Postby Derby » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:21 pm

You must be paid for all the time you work. If you work through lunch than you must be paid for working through lunch. The company can have a policy that you must take a 30 minute lunch break. If you break that policy than you can be disciplined for not adhering to policy up to and including termination.

They still must pay you for all the time you have worked. If you work through your lunch hour they have to pay you for it.

They are deduction the lunch hour because they do not want to be in trouble with the Department of Labor for not giving you a lunch break which they are required to do. If you are not allowed a lunch break they can be fined for not giving it to you or sued. The law requires them to give you a lunch break and they cannot allow you to opt out and work instead. If they do not give you a lunch break the rules are broken and they can be in trouble for not following the laws of the state of Arizona.

Shirley
Derby

Postby Jerod » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:11 am

I work in the state of Arizona with a company that allows a 30 minute unpaid lunch break and two 15 minute paid breaks.  But even if we are too busy and cannot take our break, they still deduct a 30 minute break from my check even though I was using that time to work for them!  I was wondering if there is some law against that or if there is some way you could help me find some kind of answer.
Jerod

Return to Labor Laws