Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Are we about to engage in another war with Somalia?

The law of the sea.

Postby weiford » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Copy / Pasted from CNN news from the West coast news section:

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. -- Three San Diego-based warships left Tuesday on a seven-month deployment that will include operations to combat pirates, a job made more important by the shooting deaths of four Americans on a hijacked yacht off Somalia.

The USS Boxer, an 844-foot amphibious assault ship, Green Bay, an amphibious transport dock, and Comstock, an amphibious dock landing ship, left with 1,800 sailors for the western Pacific Ocean and waters off the Middle East.

On board the ships are 2,200 Marines from Camp Pendleton's 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit. Their mission -- to provide humanitarian aid, support operations overseas and combat piracy.

The four boaters captured by pirates on Friday were shot and killed by their captors early today while negotiations were under way for their release. Jean and Scott Adam, who often docked in Marina del Rey, and another couple from Washington state were aboard the 58-foot Quest.

At one time I had found an article, a maritime law that stated no one was allowed to exchange gunfire with the Somali pirates.
I can't find it now.

Do you think it's the job of the US military to intervene?

Or should all ships carry weapons and crew members to fight off the pirates on their own?
weiford

Postby adamka » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:06 pm

No. the US navy allready has ships there to combat pirates (So does the EU).
So this is nothing special just a ship more.

Well i don´t know for the US but for example the EU has about 20 warships allready patroling this area.
adamka

Postby baigh75 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm

Doesn't sound like it.

I think it's the job of any country that has any business interests using that area to intervene.

They should but I believe that's illegal even in international waters, but I doubt it would be enforced in that area.
baigh75

Postby hillocke » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm

We aren't the country with warships in the area to fight the pirates.We do need to do something more than just watch.They are costing every one so much money for ransoms.Maybe if we shoot on sight,they'll get the hint.
hillocke

Postby larenzo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Somebody needs to blow the Shiite out of those rag heads,the 13MEU are just the guys to do it.
But Obama will have them passing out "freebies" at our expense.
larenzo

Postby crom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Yes, the military should intervene and crew members should carry weapons to protect themselves.
crom

Postby hurst » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

The US Navy and Marines was established to combat pirates off the Barbary Coast. They'll get the job done.
hurst

Postby jerrick » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:50 pm

No just going to kick some Pirate AZZ!!!!
jerrick

Postby pete » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:57 pm

I guess the USA doesn't have enough deficit already, if you want this.
pete

Postby shen86 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:05 pm

I guess the USA doesn't have enough deficit already, if you want this.
Not now, you need to follow how things are done. For example how things worked out in Iraq. The military industrial complex needs to prove itself everyday so politicians can justify the large portion of the budget use for it. Now that we don't have "nuclear threats" they need to create another threat and pirates seems to be the next step. So what if we just send ships to pass by in front of them, you know ship bait it works to get blacks and hispanics in CA why not in Somalia. But for now the politicians and lobbyist of the military industrial complex will use it to show how weak our president is for not immediately invading the country. Just like during the Clinton years and Saddam. Then the next republican leader can take the "ballsy" stand to attack and gain admiration...
shen86

Next

Return to Maritime Law