Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Ankle Fusion / Tarsal Coalition

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby zedekiah » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 am

I have lived with tarsal coalition all my life and it is a painful birth defect. After having my hopes shot down of having surgery in the early 90's no one would actually do surgery until 2 years ago. I went to a local orthopedic clinic and was told that they want me to go out of town and have my ankle fused. Well I went out of town and had the surgery, Which was the most aweful thing i have ever done. 22 straight hours with no pain-meds. Apparently Morphine and Demeral, and Diladin does not work on me. But they said they could not give me anything else. So I went home and 8 weeks later I start to have pain again(worse this time). The pain got worse over a year and i decided to go back, despite my better judgement. This time they said well your foot is not aligned right. We have to re-shape(construct) your foot.(Which is what i was sent up there for in the first place by my hometown physician) So I went through that painful experince still with my pain not under control. And within 14 weeks, I Had horrible horrible pain. The Screws in my heel and on top of my foot were backing out. Time for hardware removal. So 4 weeks ago I had hardware removal and now Im in more pain than i ever started with and do not know what to do. The surgeon will not talk to us for no longer than 5-10 min at a time. I can see he is not to concerned with the patients well being. I was told I only should have 1 surgery and now im finished with my third. I Have to have my other foot done but now I can hardly do anything like i use to and the pain is so great sometimes im luck to walk 30 feet at a time. I feel like a guine pig in the way that he changes his story everytime. I am pretty sure that when i saw my xrays after the second surgery, the screws were backed out already, like he didnt even put the all the way in. I feel that i have got the wrong end of the deal Are there anygrounds indicating mal-practice?
zedekiah

Postby Carswell » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:37 pm

I have lived with tarsal coalition all my life and it is a painful birth defect. After having my hopes shot down of having surgery in the early 90's no one would actually do surgery until 2 years ago. I went to a local orthopedic clinic and was told that they want me to go out of town and have my ankle fused. Well I went out of town and had the surgery, Which was the most aweful thing i have ever done. 22 straight hours with no pain-meds. Apparently Morphine and Demeral, and Diladin does not work on me. But they said they could not give me anything else. So I went home and 8 weeks later I start to have pain again(worse this time). The pain got worse over a year and i decided to go back, despite my better judgement. This time they said well your foot is not aligned right. We have to re-shape(construct) your foot.(Which is what i was sent up there for in the first place by my hometown physician) So I went through that painful experince still with my pain not under control. And within 14 weeks, I Had horrible horrible pain. The Screws in my heel and on top of my foot were backing out. Time for hardware removal. So 4 weeks ago I had hardware removal and now Im in more pain than i ever started with and do not know what to do. The surgeon will not talk to us for no longer than 5-10 min at a time. I can see he is not to concerned with the patients well being. I was told I only should have 1 surgery and now im finished with my third. I Have to have my other foot done but now I can hardly do anything like i use to and the pain is so great sometimes im luck to walk 30 feet at a time. I feel like a guine pig in the way that he changes his story everytime. I am pretty sure that when i saw my xrays after the second surgery, the screws were backed out already, like he didnt even put the all the way in. I feel that i have got the wrong end of the deal Are there anygrounds indicating mal-practice?
Carswell

Postby Janos » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:44 am

I am very sorry that you are having such a difficult situation. You must understand that no lawyer can have an inkling of whether there was medial malpractice in such a complicated medical case.  Only an extremely experienced orthopedic foot surgeon would be qualified to say whether your doctor's plan was appropriate and worth the risk of making matters worse.  And I assure you that your surgeon wishes you were feeling great and that he repaired a lifelong problem. He would be a hero. He could write an article in a medical journal about your case. He thought he had a surgical plan to help you. Now all he knows to do is throw his hands up and that is why he won't give you more time. I would want to know if he got the idea from consulting with other surgeons, direct experience, research on your condition or, whether he was shooting from the hip, so to speak. If it was the latter and our expert surgeon says there was no chance you would be helped and that your situation is much worse because of it, then you might have a malpractice claim. But to find out the answer to this, you have to do something that needs to be done anyhow: That is, get yourself to the biggest university medical center in your State or in the country where hopefully you will find surgeons who always want to work on the cutting edge(no pun intended)and thrive on difficult and novel surgical problems so that they can write their own articles and get famous. That is what you need. The best in the business. Do the research. Google for something like "university medical center foot surgeons" or the like. Google the name of your congenital problem. You may find a surgeon who has already become famous helping people with this condition. That is who you need to find. Be prepared to travel. I have no understanding of your particular problem but it sounds difficult and complicated and rare and now, even moreso. When you get to the best surgeon in the business, you will find out if your current surgeon was negligent and you will hopefully find the best possible solution to your problem. Good luck.
Janos

Return to Medical Malpractice