Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Age 21, 40,000 Dollars In Debt And Don't Know My Passion

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby Swain » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm

So recently I turned 21 and I'm going to be finishing my Junior year in college soon.

I'm trying my best to keep up my GPA and it's around 3.8 right now. I'm majoring in business.

But the fact of the matter is, I still don't know what my passion is, and that bothers me a lot.

I don't want to be a kid anymore but I feel like I still am.

With graduation in sight and unemployment rumors everywhere, I feel stupid just trying to graduate.

I see some of my mature friends with a firm goal in their mind, like going to Med school, or becoming a physician's assistant, or lawyer or something like that. And that's really awesome and they know exactly what they want to do. But I don't have that kind of a goal.

And I don't want to be one of those kids who just drift into jobs and watch life go by.

So I guess my question is, how did you find your passion? Is there anything I can do right now to find my passions so I don't

continue to waste time pursuing something I really couldn't care less about?

I picked business as my major because frankly, well, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. And I thought maybe

a lucrative job in business would be good and I would be kinda good at it too working with people and projects and leadership and sales.

But I know it's not a passion. It might even turn out that I'm good at it or something like that but ... it's not a passion in any definition of the word. When I see my peers get excited about some financial tool they learned in class or Bank of America internship or something like that, I kind of want to throw up.

I am already like $40,000 down the hole with tuition loans so I know I have to try to get a job as soon as possible after graduation.

I feel stupid for having invested so much money into my bachelor's degree in business like this ... when I'm like 3/4 of the way done, and

just confused as shit because I didn't care about initially finding my passion and jumped right into a career path without any research.

What do you think I should do? just stay focused on my Bachelor's degree until I graduate with high grades so I can get a good job right after graduation

so I can pay off my loans as fast as possible and try to look for something else that excites me along the way?

I know I'm a creative type, a good writer, have a sense of humor and good instincts as a performer and director on stage,

good at leading people, solving problems ... but incredibly not interested in banking or investment or finance ... just math in general.
Swain

Postby Winetorp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:18 pm

So recently I turned 21 and I'm going to be finishing my Junior year in college soon.

I'm trying my best to keep up my GPA and it's around 3.8 right now. I'm majoring in business.

But the fact of the matter is, I still don't know what my passion is, and that bothers me a lot.

I don't want to be a kid anymore but I feel like I still am.

With graduation in sight and unemployment rumors everywhere, I feel stupid just trying to graduate.

I see some of my mature friends with a firm goal in their mind, like going to Med school, or becoming a physician's assistant, or lawyer or something like that. And that's really awesome and they know exactly what they want to do. But I don't have that kind of a goal.

And I don't want to be one of those kids who just drift into jobs and watch life go by.

So I guess my question is, how did you find your passion? Is there anything I can do right now to find my passions so I don't

continue to waste time pursuing something I really couldn't care less about?

I picked business as my major because frankly, well, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. And I thought maybe

a lucrative job in business would be good and I would be kinda good at it too working with people and projects and leadership and sales.

But I know it's not a passion. It might even turn out that I'm good at it or something like that but ... it's not a passion in any definition of the word. When I see my peers get excited about some financial tool they learned in class or Bank of America internship or something like that, I kind of want to throw up.

I am already like $40,000 down the hole with tuition loans so I know I have to try to get a job as soon as possible after graduation.

I feel stupid for having invested so much money into my bachelor's degree in business like this ... when I'm like 3/4 of the way done, and

just confused as shit because I didn't care about initially finding my passion and jumped right into a career path without any research.

What do you think I should do? just stay focused on my Bachelor's degree until I graduate with high grades so I can get a good job right after graduation

so I can pay off my loans as fast as possible and try to look for something else that excites me along the way?

I know I'm a creative type, a good writer, have a sense of humor and good instincts as a performer and director on stage,

good at leading people, solving problems ... but incredibly not interested in banking or investment or finance ... just math in general.
Winetorp

Postby Gared » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:15 pm

Hello Terry

At age 13, I wrote down what I wanted to do with my adult life. Interestingly I did not have any idea as to what type of career TITLE I wanted, for example, doctor, dentist, lawyer. I described the working environment I wanted, not the specific job. As I grew older, and even today, add new things to my list of goals. My list is 80% completed, and the last 20% will be the best of all.

So write down what you want. This is how to make it come true. The HOW to make it come true will come to you. The career I got - government testing lab, 25 years and counting, I NEVER, EVER would have guessed! The office environment is as I wrote down. But career? No way!

Now to education - finish your degree! The career you will find and enjoy will have nothing to do with your major. Mine did not either. But without the degree, it will be difficult to find a career, any career.

Your debt: contact Consumer Credit Counseling Service. They have an office in Atlanta, Georgia and can handle your debt problem. They are a non-profit agency and work wonders for people in debt. Look them up on the internet.

Employment - see if your college has a program where you can find employment and receive college credits for employment. See your school counselor about this. After graduation, seek employment first at temporary employment agencies.

This is how employers are hiring today. They start you out as a temp, then offer you full time employment if you are the person they are looking for. And you get the opportunity to try different employers to see first-hand which one you like.

Now to your age - 21. Most of us today live to 85-95. So you have a lot of years ahead of you to achieve all your goals. Finish college, have Consumer Credit set up a budget for you, get a decent job to pay-off your college loans, and wait for the opportunity where the career you want comes to you. Just have time and patience.

Everything you want in life will come to you when you write down what you want.  
Gared

Return to Consumer Law