Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Accidentally ran a red light...?

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby dickens93 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am

Please help me, I'm freaking out. It was a minor intersection in southern cali near a store and some housing. The light waz yellow and I was close and going fast (not speeding) but it turned red right when I passed the white line. I'm so thankful nobody was hurt and no honking, but I'm scared I'll get a ticket. I dont know if there was a camera or maybe a cop saw me or somebody may report me, ive only been licensed 1 year..

I dont want to make my parents pay and have unsirance rise...and mess up my record....im scared, i cant even eat or think straight.

Will i get a ticket you think?
Im just so scared...i know its my fault and I'll take the consequences either way...im a very curteous and careful driver but I made a stupid mistake, please help.
dickens93

Postby collyer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am

You're over reacting, calm down. Just don't do it again or you might not be as lucky next time. The cops aren't after you, unless they actually SAW you. In this case, you're in the clear.
collyer

Postby salvadore94 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:35 am

The camera trap systems aren't a factor anymore. Basically Law enforcement didn't want to enforce tickets and neither did Parking. So any ticket ever issued by those traps, you never have to pay--they're not enforced.

If a cop didn't see the scene, no ticket.

Also, as long as all 4 tires are across the line when the light turns red, you legally have to get out of the intersection.

You won't get ticketed.
salvadore94

Postby yago » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am

I have done that so many times. If I was going to get a ticket, nobody told me....
You're fine.
yago

Postby bing49 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 am

I know that the laws are different in California, there are a lot more cameras in intersections that take your picture if you run a red light.

However, I don't think that you need to freak out this much. You sound like you're a good driver, conscientious and not like typical crazy teenagers.

Honestly, I live in NY and I've done this a few times before and never got ticketed or caught (I didn't do it on purpose by the way). However, there aren't cameras where I live except for in a few intersections downtown.

Still, don't worry. Let it go. You'll know in a while if that light had a camera or not. The penalty probably won't be that bad if you do get caught.

I think that one of my family members drove in California once and ran a red light in Sacramento, but she never got fined. That happened about 3 years ago.
bing49

Return to Traffic Law