Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

A uk based immigration lawyer promises to book a seat with the ukba... Can he legally do this?

Talk about immigration laws here

A uk based immigration lawyer promises to book a seat with the ukba... Can he legally do this?

Postby lorimar » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:23 am

a uk immigration law firm is promising to book a seat with the ukba before the 19th of july if i pay them now -this way the cap/additional points that come into effect after this date will not affect me even though I will be filing after this date. Is the firm being honest?
lorimar

Postby jaren12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:27 am

Hi all,

First time posting - so bear with me. I am a lawyer (not with capital visas) but with Westkin Associates but will try and avoid posting spam as a few other law firms seem to have done! A few points:

1. A law firm can offer this service if they have the correct registration with UKBA. The service is called the Legal Representatives Same Day Service. It should show up on a web search, there is a UKBA. They usually call these "slots".
2. Only firms registered with the law society or OISC can use this service. Capital visas have the OISC logo on their site so seem to be registered with them although I haven't checked this online.
3.A firm shouldn't charge you more for a slot because they can. They should only charge for work done or increased costs. Using the same day service can cost more , eg when we provide clients the same day service we have to pay a legal clerk to go there all day and so explain this to clients up front. How much more were they charging and what for? They cannot "price gouge" but can charge for work done or costs incurred.

4. This might be late but I assume you want to avoid the new changes, they have just come out here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier1/general/applying/ - for Tier 1 and follow the link if you want Tier 2.

for you to see of they affect you.

5. I am in the process of preparing a guidance video for our clients on the new changes. I will happily post this on this page for your tmmrw.

Hope that helps,

Amir
jaren12

Postby max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:34 am

There are a lot of "immigration lawyers",that are not even lawyers.

You should really check to see if they are registered with the "law society"
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/home.law

if they are not,then you are probably going to waste your money.

To be on the safe side,I would use a lawyer/solicitor that is on the law society list,your money will be protected.

I have had dealings with some of these unregistered lawyers,they are best avoided.

@
If they are not registered with the law society,then i would recommend that you leave them alone.
Any legit firm would be registered with the law society,after all they would have nothing to be gained by not registering.
max

Postby shen86 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:41 am

There is no way anyone can guarantee that. That's not how the Home Office works. This sounds really dodgey. Are you sure this is a real immigration lawyer? You normally pay AFTER all of your papers have been submitted, not before

To add to Bricklayers post, if they aren't registered with the Law Society, they are not lawyers and are just giving you empty promises
shen86

Postby matyas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:52 am

We offer professional advice on UK visa application procedures. Our unparalleled expertise in UK immigration laws and policies has helped many to accomplish their immigration goals.
Whether you intend to go to UK to work, study, run a business, visit or for settlement, we would certainly smoothen your path. Our solid experience in handling immigration related issues such as visa applications, entry clearance, settlement, petitions, sponsorships, extension of live to remain, change of employers, visa denials, delays, overstays, appeals continues to help many.
We recommend visas to apply for after analysing applicants' intentions, stories and situations. We define explicit procedures to follow in order to resolve your immigration issue or successfully get your intended visa. Our services help you achieve your immigration and visa goals with a minimum hassle, time and cost.
The comprehensive information we give to applicants guides them through complex and stringent requirements of obtaining a UK visa. We are also ready to answer any question you might have throughout until you get your visa.

CONTACT US at [email protected]
matyas

Return to Immigration Law