Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   


Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

401k To Roth 401k

Corporate Law Discussions

401k To Roth 401k

Postby Morland » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:59 am

s About Taxes)/401k to Roth 401K Advertisement Expert: Adam Shay, CPA - 7/7/2011 Hi Adam,

I rolled over my 401k into a Super Simplified Roth 401k. Both plans are held with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney(MSSB). I am being told I need a 1099R to complete my taxes. Problem is MSSB stopped producing 1099R's in 2005 for the Super Simplified Plans and they only provide a 5498. They advised that I need complete a 1099r myself as I am the Super Simplified Roth 401k administrator and trustee. My question is do I need a 1099r to complete my taxes and if so will i need to create it myself.

Thank you,


ANSWER: I would expect MSSB to generate the document but it sounds like they won't/aren't.  I am not real familiar with the Super Simplified Roth 401K.  If you had a distribution from a retirement account a 1099-R is typically required.  Someone needs to generate one in this case and be sure that it is coded correctly, reported to the IRS, etc.  I wish I could offer additional insight.


---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Correct, MSSB is not generating the document. Am I able to create a 1099r myself?
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm

401k To Roth 401k

Postby Aesclin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:02 am

You can- as long as you have the forms and necessary information.  You can order official IRS copies via irs.gov.  You can also typically find them in office supply stores but I don't know about this time of year.  The IRS may penalize you and/or the plan for filing a 1099-R late if that is what you need to do.http://www.irs.gov/businesses/page/0,,id=23108,00.html
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Return to Corporate Law


  • Related topics
    Last post