Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

16 and pregnant, verbally abusive father wont let me leave and get my own place how do I get out of this hell?

Family Law Discussion Forum

16 and pregnant, verbally abusive father wont let me leave and get my own place how do I get out of this hell?

Postby hanan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 pm

If I were you, I would look up the emancipation laws in your state and check into that. Here when you are 16 you are eligible to apply for emancipation. If you can prove you are able to live alone and have a good reason, ie a verbally abusive father who you dont want your baby around, you should, with enough preparation, be able to convince the courts to grant you emancipation which means you are legally an adult at the age of 16 (or 17) and you can move out for the well being of your baby.
hanan

Postby khalid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 pm

If I were you, I would look up the emancipation laws in your state and check into that. Here when you are 16 you are eligible to apply for emancipation. If you can prove you are able to live alone and have a good reason, ie a verbally abusive father who you dont want your baby around, you should, with enough preparation, be able to convince the courts to grant you emancipation which means you are legally an adult at the age of 16 (or 17) and you can move out for the well being of your baby.
If your father is actually abusing you, then call CPS on him. If he's actually causing you harm, then the state will place you in foster care until you turn 18. If he's not causing you harm and is just a meanie, that's nothing something for him to lose his custody over you for. Cursing a lot is not against the law. If he got arrested for something, that would also have you end up in foster care most likely

So, your options are to either call CPS on him or not. You will not be emancipated in a situation like this because you are unable to financially support yourself. It does not matter if your baby father could support you, because to be emancipated you have to prove you can do it on your own. If CPS doesn't put you in foster care, then you're stuck with living with your father and under his rules until you turn 18 or until he's arrested. Those are the breaks for being 16 years old.

Oh and try using a condom next time, thanks.
khalid

Previous

Return to Family Law