Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

15 Year Old Minor Dating A 17 Year Old Male

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby Blaise » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:49 am

for the past year, i've been dating a guy who is only 2 years older than me. at the time i met him, i was 14 and he was 16. a few months later he turned 17. well its about half a year later and i'm now 15 and in about 4 months he'll be turning 18. my parents are freaking out, saying i'm not aloud to have ANY contact with him ever again. i am in the state of North Carolina, and exactly, him and i are only 2 years and 8 months apart. is it legal for us to be together? and when he does turn 18, if we do possibly go out again, are we aloud to kiss/hold hands/etc? if it isn't legal, what age do i have to be for it to be legal?
Blaise

Postby Lucio » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:10 am

Hi Stephanie,

This really isn't a free speech question, and it outside my area of expertise.  

But my understanding is that the age of consent for sexual activity in NC is 16.  The defendant must also be at least 4 years older than the defendant for a crime to be committed.

It is also illegal for any unmarried couple of any age to have sex in NC, although this law is rarely enforced.

You can read more details here:http://moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=Northcarolina

For non-sexual activity, simply going out and spending time together, that would not be a crime.  However, parents have a legal right to control who  you spend time with and have the right to take action to keep the to of you apart.  That does not change until you become 18.

I hope this helps!

- Mike  
Lucio

Postby Nemesio » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:34 am

for the past year, i've been dating a guy who is only 2 years older than me. at the time i met him, i was 14 and he was 16. a few months later he turned 17. well its about half a year later and i'm now 15 and in about 4 months he'll be turning 18. my parents are freaking out, saying i'm not aloud to have ANY contact with him ever again. i am in the state of North Carolina, and exactly, him and i are only 2 years and 8 months apart. is it legal for us to be together? and when he does turn 18, if we do possibly go out again, are we aloud to kiss/hold hands/etc? if it isn't legal, what age do i have to be for it to be legal?
Nemesio

Return to Defamation Law