Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

13 Year Old Wants To Move Out State With Me For His High School Years.

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby Ridgely » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:02 am

Let me begin w/ me born and raised in Southern California. I had a son in CA as well. Left his father(whom I never married), when our son was 2 years old. From that time on, my son's father and I had a verbal agreement to switch my son to one parent every week.(i.e. one week w/ me, then one week w/ his dad and so on). We also had a verbal agreement that no one was paying any child support, due to our 50/50 decision. This went on for 9 years.

I found a place up in WA when my son was 11 yrs(2009). And planned to move there. My son wanted to stay w/ his father because of school and whatnot. So, his dad and I made another verbal arrangment. I would get our son during the summers and winter break. No child support involved, as long as I paid for the airfare. We've been doing this for 2 yrs. and things are good.

My son is 13 yrs old now and will be starting high school end of 2011. My son wants to do his high school here, up in WA, living w/ me. I would love it. Plus, the high school my son would go to in So Cal is not the ideal place to be. I have spoke a little w/ my son's father about this. He said that my son doesn't make the decisions and that he had to think about it(which his thinking will take years). I honestly feel my boy would do much better out here. He has picked up quite a few bad habits from the area and has little support when it comes to school from his dad.

Does my boy have the say-so on this? If not, what can I do to get him here?

ANSWER: Was paternity legally established?

Is there a custody order?

Usually courts take in to consideration the wishes of children over age 10.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

We know definately that he is my son's father. He was there the first two years. No denying it. As for establishing paternity legally, we felt there was no need.

We have always worked out our parenting plans verbally. No custody order has ever been established.
Ridgely

Postby Owein » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:55 am

If  you can't work things out this time, you could legally establish patetnity and ask the court to establish custody and a parenting plan which would include where your son lives.

You two have always acted in your son's best interest in the past, I hope you both can do so again.
Owein

Postby Dar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 am

Let me begin w/ me born and raised in Southern California. I had a son in CA as well. Left his father(whom I never married), when our son was 2 years old. From that time on, my son's father and I had a verbal agreement to switch my son to one parent every week.(i.e. one week w/ me, then one week w/ his dad and so on). We also had a verbal agreement that no one was paying any child support, due to our 50/50 decision. This went on for 9 years.

I found a place up in WA when my son was 11 yrs(2009). And planned to move there. My son wanted to stay w/ his father because of school and whatnot. So, his dad and I made another verbal arrangment. I would get our son during the summers and winter break. No child support involved, as long as I paid for the airfare. We've been doing this for 2 yrs. and things are good.

My son is 13 yrs old now and will be starting high school end of 2011. My son wants to do his high school here, up in WA, living w/ me. I would love it. Plus, the high school my son would go to in So Cal is not the ideal place to be. I have spoke a little w/ my son's father about this. He said that my son doesn't make the decisions and that he had to think about it(which his thinking will take years). I honestly feel my boy would do much better out here. He has picked up quite a few bad habits from the area and has little support when it comes to school from his dad.

Does my boy have the say-so on this? If not, what can I do to get him here?

ANSWER: Was paternity legally established?

Is there a custody order?

Usually courts take in to consideration the wishes of children over age 10.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

We know definately that he is my son's father. He was there the first two years. No denying it. As for establishing paternity legally, we felt there was no need.

We have always worked out our parenting plans verbally. No custody order has ever been established.
Dar

Return to Family Law