Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

1099 Employee Rights

Business Law discussions

1099 Employee Rights

Postby pete » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:17 pm

I recently joined a modeling agency they had me sign a year term contract. However after the countless problems and the company not following through with their terms of the contract I decided to leave the company, which they said i could do if i felt the need to. However upon leaving the owner threatened to sue me for breach of contract and said i could not accept any of modeling jobs until the end of the term. In the contract it states that i am a 1099 employee and therefore an independent contractor. Does this mean in the terms of my contract that I have agreed to work with them for this time period, but I can also do business with others of my choosing? I am prepared to take thia company to court I am just trying to get all my facts straight. Thank you for your help.
pete

1099 Employee Rights

Postby giulio » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:58 am

There is no such thing as a 1099 employee. If you are being paid on a 1099 basis you are an independent contractor running your own business. If you are such you can work for anyone you wish. You do not have to go to court just contact your local department of employment. They will be able to explain the 1099 independent contractor status to you.

Shirley
giulio

1099 Employee Rights

Postby rolfe16 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:07 pm

I recently joined a modeling agency they had me sign a year term contract. However after the countless problems and the company not following through with their terms of the contract I decided to leave the company, which they said i could do if i felt the need to. However upon leaving the owner threatened to sue me for breach of contract and said i could not accept any of modeling jobs until the end of the term. In the contract it states that i am a 1099 employee and therefore an independent contractor. Does this mean in the terms of my contract that I have agreed to work with them for this time period, but I can also do business with others of my choosing? I am prepared to take thia company to court I am just trying to get all my facts straight. Thank you for your help.
rolfe16

Return to Business Law